Monday, October 24, 2011

Coming Home!

I’m coming home
I’m coming home
tell the World I’m coming home...
-J.Cole



Over the weekend I had the honor and privilege to photograph the homecoming of several servicemen who have been away for about 6 months at Tampa International Airport.   I waited with the wives and heard stories of how long it has taken to get their husbands to get back home, the father who gets up every day at 4 in the morning to talk to his children before they go to sleep, what their plans are for their families now that they will home, and how much they missed them.  The line from the commercial for Joining Forces  played over in my mind "Behind every service member there is a family who serves as well."





 There was a lot of nervous energy, butterflies in the stomach, and I think everyone of them had been up since 4 in the morning trying to make the day go faster.   

We finally got our special passes for security and waited at gate 86. The plane was on time and set to arrive at 10:37 AM.  It seemed like it took forever. It was a very emotional event.  My goal was to not cry so I could see to take the pictures.  I was choked up.  Here are some of the images.





No comments: