Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Darla


I had the opportunity to photograph Darla.  This is the last portrait session for Darla, and it is difficult to think about, much less write about.  She is one of the sweetest and most beautiful dogs I have ever met.  She has the softest fur and the deepest eyes. 

Darla joined her family ten years ago, and it has been the best ten years of her life and her family’s life!  Darla would show up everyday at the school where her future owner worked.   Darla followed two children there, and waited for them to until school was out, and followed them home.  When the teacher approached the children about the dog, they said the dog follows them because they feed her.  That teacher took her into her home, only to find that Darla doesn’t have a great relationship with those of the feline persuasion, and needed to place her in another home. Darla was officially adopted by another teacher who worked at the school, Jennifer and her husband Ryan.   They took her to the vet, (she was very sick), and made her a part of her family.  A few years later, Ryan and Jennifer welcomed a baby girl into their family.  Even though there was a new little member in the house, Ryan and Jennifer never treated Darla any differently.  She still held the same position in the family.  I think this is so remarkable. What a lucky dog!

I have had the opportunity to photograph many beautiful and loving pets of my clients over the years, and when I am hired for a final session, my heart breaks, though I want to do it for the client.  Their heart is broken, too, and it is my job to capture the pet, capture that personality, their softness and love. ♥

No comments: